top of page
Anker 1

About HCC Boatyard

HCC Boatyard is a shipyard which specializes in both classic renovations and installation of modern technology. One of our specialties is the way we combine classic craftsmanship with contemporary and up-to date solutions, which are all present  for example on the ship Talisman which was completed in 2022. Boats have been built at the yard for more than 150 years. We are very proud of this century long tradition and look forward to continuing this tradition of craftsmanship for many years to come.

Today, the shipyard is managed by Monica Fabricius, who herself comes from a maritime family which has sailed through several generations and has always had a close relationship with the sea and shipping in general. No project is too big or too small - contact us to find out more about what we can do for you and your boat.


Monica Fabricius, HCC Boatyard 2022

tidligt billede HCC.jpeg

Early painting of the yard

History of the yard

In 2021, H.C.C. Boatyard bought the shipyard buildings and halls around Thomsen square from Marstal Værft, after Marstal Værft was moved to Svendborg.


In 2013, Monica Fabricius – who was also trained as a boat builder at H.C.C. – bought the boatyard from Ebbe Andersen. Monica Fabricius is from a family with a long generation of shipowners and sailing and originates from Marstal. In 2018, the shipyard was renamed H.C.C. Bådeværft KS in line with H.C.C.'s origins.


In 1998, Marstal Yacht bought the shipyard buildings and used them mainly for winter storage. Ebbe Andersen was hired to oversee repairs which followed in the wake of the storages, and when he later took over the business, the boatyard was named Ebbes Bådebyggeri og Sejlloft.


In 1970, the yard was bought by Thomas Schmidt A/S and renamed Marstal Stålskibsværft & Maskinfabrik A/S, but was subsequently closed in 1979. It was revived again when shipowner Robert Stærke Kristensen took over the yard area, but despite orders for new construction, the yard had to close again. Svendborg Værft took over the yard for a period and carried out section production until 1992.


In 1950, the yard had a construction berth for up to 85 meter long ships and 2 repair hauler berths for up to 65 meter long ships. The yard had built 52 steel ships until 1951 and production continued until 1992.


After World War ll , due to unfortunate circumstances, the shipyard had to take a serious loss, but with local support it was resurrected as H.C. Christensen's Steel Shipyard of 1949 A/S, with Mrs. Christensen as owner and Niels Thomsen as director. In the following years, the yard became known for building 20 of the 23 famous Caroline ships.


In 1913, the grandson - who was also called H.C. Christensen took over the management and oversaw a separation of the shipping company and shipyard, which had previously been run together. In 1927 he also took over the collapsed Marstal Steel Shipyard. The founder H.C. Christensen died in 1879.


Shipowner H.C. Christensen first broke soil for the construction of his wooden shipyard in 1869. In 1879, his son Jørgen Christensen took over the management and in this time was able to build 23 wooden ships before the yard was converted to steel in 1914. The first steel ship was a 4-masted schooner ALFA.

bottom of page